In our last blog we talked about the importance of staying hydrated (especially during Ontario’s Summer of Heat!)
Today, we are talking about the importance of water for your skin and hair…really making it part of your health and beauty regime.
Stylecraze.com out lines 22 reasons why water is an important part of your daily health and beauty regime. Here goes….
Like the other organs of our body, skin is also made of several cells. Skin cells like any other organ cells require water to function properly. Some of the benefits of water to the skin include:
1. Water is essential to maintain the optimum skin moisture and deliver essential nutrients to the skin cells. It replenishes the skin tissue and increases its elasticity. This helps delay the appearance of signs of ageing like wrinkles and fine lines.
2. Water is a perfect replacement for your expensive anti-ageing treatments. It keeps the skin well hydrated and glistening, thereby, enhancing the complexion.For soft and supple skin, drinking an adequate amount of water is more important than applying topical creams.
3. Drinking enough water combats skin disorders like psoriasis, wrinkles and eczema. It also increases the metabolic rate and improves digestive system to flush out toxins from the body. This in turn gives you a healthy and glowing skin.
4. A nice cold shower and a relaxing bath calm the nerves and reduce the stress related damage to the skin. Soak your entire body in cold water for 2 to 3 minutes to rejuvenate the skin. Long exposure of the skin to water can strip off the natural oils, so don’t stretch your bathing or shower duration.
5. Cold water bath eliminates redness of the skin and sets the skin for better makeup application. After opening the pores by washing them with warm water, you can seal them by splashing with cold water. Cold water tightens the pores and prevents them from getting clogged. It reduces the appearance of acne.
6. A cold water compress can also help to reduce under-eye inflammation. As the water evaporates from the skin, the surface becomes cooler. Splashing cold water on the eyes can also reduce eye puffiness. There are plenty of water-rich eye gels which you can use for a long-term solution.
7. In earlier times, people in Eastern Europe would visit bathhouses to detoxify and tighten the skin. The process involves a steam-room session, followed by a cool water plunge to tighten the skin.
- To do water therapy at home, soak a washcloth in steaming hot water, and then lay it on your face.
- For the “plunge”, splash your face with cold water for around 15 times. This therapy invigorates and tightens the skin.
Water for Hair:
Some of the benefits of water for hair include:
8. Cold water rinse leaves the hair glossy and shiny. The cold temperature constricts the hair cuticles to make the strands smoother and more reflective. It also prevents dirt from accumulating on the scalp and makes hair stronger.
9. The nutrient-rich ocean water supports marine botanicals which repair, cleanse and detangle strands. Ocean water contains red algae and sea lettuce which cleanse the hair without drying. It also strengthens and adds shine to the hair.
10. Soft water shower leaves the hair more manageable because of the presence of low mineral salt and molecules in it. If you get hard water supply at home, then install a water-softening shower filter. This will also prevent the hair color from fading.
11. Chlorinated and salty water can make the hair frizzy. To prevent the damage, rinse your hair just before taking a plunge into the swimming pool. The strands will absorb the clean water so that it does not soak too much of chlorinated water. After the dip, coat your hair with conditioner for the extra protection.
[ Read: Benefits Of Hot Water ]
12. Believe it or not, but water is the most natural setting lotion for hair. Each of the strands is made up of hydrogen bonds which separate when the hair is wet. If you style your hair while it’s wet, the hydrogen bond will reform to give a new shape.
- To achieve soft waves, mist your hair with water and separate into four sections.
- Twist each section into a small bun and secure with a pin.
- Blow dry and then unfurl to get soft waves.
Water does not contain any harsh chemicals found in hair styling products which can make your hair dry and damaged.
13. Water is a natural miracle ingredient that supports vitamin consumption and assists in efficient and healthy hair growth. Water makes almost ¼ of the weight of a hair strand, thus, drink two liters of water every day to get gleaming and healthy tresses.
14. Our hair thrives on moisture-rich environment and water is one of the best ways to quench its thirst. Just like our skin, hair also needs lubrication from inside out. Dehydration has a direct impact on the growth of hair. Lack of moisture results in dry and brittle hair. It may even stop growing at the maximum genetic rate if you don’t drink enough water to meet your daily needs. The roots of the hair are the means by which water is transported from the body. They soak up water and provide hydration to the rest of the hair strand.
15. Our scalp and roots have photosensitive and energy saving nerve endings which receive and transmit signals. Water energizes the nerve endings to enhance the natural vitality of the skin and hair roots. Drinking water also helps to eliminate hair problems like dandruff and Dermatitis Seborrhea.
16. You can also mix jojoba oil or any other essential oil to distilled water to make a leave-on hair serum. This will give you shiny and sleek hair in no time.
Health Benefits of Drinking Water:
There are full on benefits to drinking water. Try and include the right amount of water in your daily intake.
17. Keep the Body Fluids Stable:
Our body is made up of 60% water. So, water plays a vital role in keeping our body fit. These bodily fluids consisting of water help in digestion, circulation, absorption, production of saliva, transportation of nutrients throughout the body. Also water helps to maintain the body temperature at normal. Intake of water helps your body to keep functioning well. Our brain is up to 90% water while our tissues and muscles are up to 75% water. So when our body lacks fluid, our brain stops working and we get migraines and headaches due to dehydration. So it’s better to keep a bottle of water around so that you may replenish the lost fluids. When we sweat we lose a lot of water content in the process but this is not without any cause. Sweat helps to lower the body temperature so that the body does not overheat. So when you are outside and sweating excessively, drink plenty of water to help keep dehydration away. Any type of drink would serve the purpose, tea, coffee, fruit juice anything but avoid alcohol as it further causes dehydration.
18. Keeping Muscles Healthy:
Muscles are made up of up to 75% water, so it is necessary to provide them enough water. Having enough water will help keep their contraction normal and prevent muscular cramps; It will help you to exercise more making you stronger and healthy.
19. Keep Wrinkles at Bay:
Water keeps skin cells hydrated and working fine so drink water to keep wrinkles away. Water plumps the skin cells up making them look less wrinkled. Also it flushes impurities and toxins out of the system keeping your face fresh and clean and thus aid in reducing the breakouts and acne.
20. Water Retention:
When you drink less water, the brain takes it as a survival threat and starts to store more water in the body creating swollen feet, hands and legs. Drink more water so that your body gets back to normal.
21. Keep the Digestive System Normal:
Water helps in the digestive process as it helps to keep the kidney working normally. If there is a lack of water in the body, it will result in constipation. So those with constipation problems should drink lots of water to keep their digestive system fine.
22. Helps in Weight Loss:
When there is a loss of water, the kidney cannot function at its best making it shed excess burden on the liver. Liver helps to burn off the fat into energy but when it has to do the excess work of the kidney, it cannot burn as much fat into energy as it should, resulting in fat deposit. Take water in good quantity to prevent fat deposit and to keep yourself healthy. So you can say that losing weight is one of the advantages of drinking water.